Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What .357 ammunition for whitetail hunting

What .357 ammunition for whitetail hunting

I just purchased my first .357 revolver and want to deer hunt with this firearm, I was wondering what everyone shoots for whitetail hunting ammunition in their .357? Any information would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Nothing.

Try a .44 rem mag instead.

If you are wanting factory ammo, the 158grn Hornady XTP would be a good choice and handle any reasonable situation for a .357 handgun.

I have used the bullet also in handloads as well as the lyman 358156 GC cast bullets cast with wheel weights and weighing in at 164 grains from my mould after gas check is added. Both bullets loaded with 14.5 grains of 2400 have dumped deer and hogs with great effect.

The above loads were shot in a heavy frame M27 S&W and would maybe need to back down 0.5 - 1 grain in a lighter framed handgun.

I handloaded the rounds but I have used Hornady XTP HP in both 158 and 125 grain. Both provided clean kills out to 75 yrds. Never shot ant deer past that but have shot some coyotes at 100.
    Gun was a S&W 686 6 inch bl with a 2X scope. Shot placement is far more important than the bullet weight so find a round that shoot well at the range you expect to hunt at. I am sure the Lever rounds by Hornady would work good as well as the XTP loads.

I have already purchased the .357 so I will not buy another pistol ( just yet)and am not looking to reload but just purchase the ammunition. What brands and grains will be the best?

I hunt with Federal Premium 180gr Castcore. It works great. I limit my shots to 50 yds.

sellier & bellot 357 remington mag, soft point,158 gr. 1235 fps 50rd/box mfg# v311112a at ableammo.com
    very clean shooting ammo

You are going to need to be really close to the deer in order to drop it with a .357 S&W.

A .44 rem mag would give you more range, twice as much.

And even so, the deer is going to get up and run away, so you will be tracking for a long time, since the bullet channel is small and bleeding will be less even compared with an arrow.

The .357 is a marginal at best hunting round. Archery would be better. A rifle in .308 or larger would be better still.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzysquirrel66 View Post
    I have already purchased the .357 so I will not buy another pistol ( just yet)and am not looking to reload but just purchase the ammunition. What brands and grains will be the best?
    I would go with a 158 grain JHP I like the hornady bullet but in reality about any of the 158 JHP will work OK as long as they shoot good out of your gun. LIke I posted before I have had several kills with my S&W 686 out to 75 yrds. With both 125 grain and 158 grain Hornady XTP JHP bullets. All have dropped within sight none have gone more than 30 yrds from where they were hit. It is like bow hunting you must wait for that perfect shot. Get some ammo a go practice good luck this year to me a handgun harvest is almost as rewarding as a bow harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    You are going to need to be really close to the deer in order to drop it with a .357 S&W.

A .44 rem mag would give you more range, twice as much.

And even so, the deer is going to get up and run away, so you will be tracking for a long time, since the bullet channel is small and bleeding will be less even compared with an arrow.

The .357 is a marginal at best hunting round. Archery would be better. A rifle in .308 or larger would be better still.
    I have never personally shot a deer with a .357 but I have went on hunts with folks who have used the 357. Just put one in the lungs and they wont go far. Ive seen it time and time again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast