Thread: " Castle" Law in effect?

" Castle" Law in effect?

Anyone know?

It depends on your state law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

In my house you can betch yer ass it is!
    The devil made me do it the first time. The second time I done it on my own!

Here in mass it was recently sent to the judicuary committe,sorry for the misspell,and left in limbo. I'm not sure where it's going, or if it will go anywhere now.

Pretty sure in MN I can legally shoot someone that breaks into my house. Either way I would rather fight the charges in court than be a dead man if the burglar had the intentions of harming me or my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    It depends on your state law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
    +1 Depends on the individual state.

Many states are currently pushing to get it passed though. Just remember in the non Castle Doctrine states there may be a duty to retreat involved. From my understanding this does not mean you actually have to retreat, but must have at least considered it and deemed it not a viable option because of harm to self, family, etc.

That is a very important distinction if you were ever involved in a case and brought to trial!

It was put in as an amendment to MO's CCW laws
    When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both

in the Heller house its part of Hellers law. in illinois we dont have a so called castle law, but what we have is similiar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain1221 View Post
    Pretty sure in MN I can legally shoot someone that breaks into my house. Either way I would rather fight the charges in court than be a dead man if the burglar had the intentions of harming me or my family.
    Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

IANAL, but it's my understanding, most any state in the union (with the possible exception of Kalifornia, 'course!) has no law "against" defending yourself, in your own home, with lethal force.

That said, without a "castle law", there's also nothing keepin' the prosecutor from tryin' to throw ya in prison anyhow ... 'cause ya weren't "justified". Moreover, nothin' keepin' the attacker's widow from takin' ya to civil court, too!

In MN, IIRC, the "castle law" would extend our current rights to our front and back yards, and our garage. As it stands now, if we're settin' in our garage, and someone drives up and whips out a gun, we got a God-given right to TRY to run into the house, like a scared little *****!

It's my understanding this is why Zimmerman weren't initially charged ... with "stand your ground" (basically the same thing, 'sept even away from your property), they didn't have enough to go after him ... 'til they figured out the "victim" was black ... and he was "white" ... 'er so they say!

Anyhow, I agree, even in MN, in your garage, or your front yard, if someone's comin' after you 'n yers, you gotta do absolutely anything/everything you can, to win! ... then call yer lawyer! ... then call 911! ... tell 'em someone attacked you 'n yers, ya shot 'em, then DON'T SAY ANOTHER WORD!

No alternative is otherwise acceptable!