Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun powder??

Gun powder??

I have some old gun powder my uncle gave me with his shotgun reloader. How long will that be good kept in a stable environment? Is there a way to test it? maybe load a shell or a better way to test it?

bump for the morning crowd!

I gotta believe that there is gonna be guys on this site to give feedback on turkey loads.Postem em up guys,can"t wait to see them.I"m a member of Archery Talk,Old Gobbler and now this site.Aint life GREAT!!!

How old is it?? I would vebnture to say as long as it has not been in a damp enviroment it should be OK. I think if I was gonna test some I would work up a real light load and maybe even pull the trigger from a distance if the powder is real old. I have used some old rifle powder that was sitting for about 7 years and it worked just fine. Good luck and be safe!

It's probably from the 70's or 80's. I've had it since mid 90's.

Your GTG. Just load a low charge and load a couple and try. My friend is using pistol powder he bought back in the 60's. Goes bang every time.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

If still in the original cans, and has been stored in cool dark area, you will have years to go before it is bad. Load it and shoot it, and remember shotgun powders make wonderful handgun powders as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JRM6868 View Post
    I have some old gun powder my uncle gave me with his shotgun reloader. How long will that be good kept in a stable environment? Is there a way to test it? maybe load a shell or a better way to test it?
    Well, smokeless powder lasts a long time. As long as its not clumpy, I would find some load data...and bang away. It may fail, but as long as you start at minimum load, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by klean1 View Post
    Well, smokeless powder lasts a long time. As long as its not clumpy, I would find some load data...and bang away. It may fail, but as long as you start at minimum load, you should be fine.
    what he said

Thanks for the replies. Looked at the cans today says 1979 on them. When I get some time I'm going to load some up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast