Thread: Marlin 995 .22 long rifle help

Marlin 995 .22 long rifle help

I have a 995, which was my first rifle, received for Christmas in 1981. This rifle is very valuable to me for sentimental reasons. Recently it started FTE and jamming. I'm posting a picture of what it's doing or actually not doing. Can anyone tell me what needs to be repaired? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard to say just by looking at the pics. But, the first think I would do is to thoroughly clean it. I'd use Gun Scrubber to get all the old crud out of it, then use a good lubricant (not a 'one bottle does it all' CLP stuff). If that doesn't help any (and I'm assuming you're having failure to EJECT and not EXTRACT issues), I'd try different ammo, probably some HV stuff like CCI Mini Mag. What ammo are you using now? When was the last time you disassembled the action and really cleaned it?
    The devil made me do it the first time. The second time I done it on my own!

Thank you! Yes, it's most FTE, occasionally doesn't grab the shell but mostly FTE. I honestly don't know if it has ever been completely torn down and cleaned. It's been sitting in the safe, unused, for probably the last 20 years and there's no telling how many rounds I put through that rifle during childhood. I'll tear it completely down and clean everything before proceeding any further. Thank you very much!

.22 lr rifle burns pretty dirty. Now, mix that with oil and you get a mess inside of your action if you shoot a lot and don't stay on top of cleaning it. Not too much issues with a bolt-action, or single shot, but with a semi-auto you can run into all kinds of issues. Fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject, fail to extract. All of which can be caused by a dirty action/chamber (in a semi-auto). Clean the action real well, and also clean the chamber (carbon will build up in there - use a .243 bore brush and a good powder solvent to clean the chamber). Report back with an update when you get it cleaned!

Thanks, I'm going to order a .243 bore brush and gun scrubber, tear it down completely and clean it. I'll let you know the results in a week or so.

Roger that.

Absolutely agree with BowKil. The first thing to to is to clean your rifle. How often do you clean your rifle? If you don't know how often you should clean, read this article. I used to clan every time I shot. Now I may run a bore snake through about every 200 and clean about every 500. I do regularly clean the bolt and lugs and grease very regular though.