Thread: Couldn't help myself.....

Couldn't help myself.....

For some reason I figured I needed another .45 ACP. One that I could carry instead of my G19 or Sig P238. So here it is......a Colt Defender! Good shootin' little 3" bbl .45 ACP. The only thing I'm not thrilled about on it is the cheesy recoil spring assembly. No worries, though, I have a EGW recoil spring assembly on the way to replace the factory one.

The devil made me do it the first time. The second time I done it on my own!

Blame it on the devil!
    Support your right to keep and bear arms!!!

EGW recoil spring assembly arrived today. It's a 'no-go'. 22# flat-wire spring isn't long enough. Won't lock the slide in full battery. Looks like that's getting sent back. I should have gone with Wolff!

Yes, you should have!

I called EGW yesterday and spoke with Cody. He was very helpful. Apparently, they (EGW) cut the recoil spring to 13 coils and it should be 16. He's sending me out an entire new assembly. In the meantime, I already ordered the recoil spring assembly that Kimber uses on their Ultra Carry pistols. The only difference between the Kimber and Colt assembly is that the horse shoe shaped 'plate' on the end of the Colt rod is a separate piece and is held onto the rod by an 'E'-clip. I just don't like it. The Kimber rod had a solid 'plate' that looks to be welded (for the lack of a better term), to the rod. The EGW rod is all one solid piece, which I prefer, and doesn't utilize a double spring configuration as the Colt and Kimber's do.

Here's a pic of the factory Colt spring, rod, and reverse plug (on the left), and the EGW one that's getting sent back), on the right.

I got the new spring assemble from EGW. Apparently, the first spring was only 13 coils. Per Cody at EGW, it should have had 16 coils, which is what he sent me. Put it in and everything is now muy bueno! Pistol is running just fine now. Not only that, but it's way easier to re-assemble with the one piece guide rod.

Excellent! Just goes to show you, a phone call to the mfr is always a good idea..

Just looking at your previous pics with the two guide rods side by side, it does appear that the flat spring is too short. I suspect that they turn the guide rod from a solid piece of material, so the end plate is part of the guide rod, no 'attachement' required. That's how I would do it... it costs a little more, but it's a much simpler and more effective assembly.

That spring was 3 coils too short. The slide would slap back and forth with hardly any spring tension at all. I think someone there tossed the wrong in the package along with the guide rod and reverse plug. I put an extended thumb safety on it the other day, too.

yea, you need it