Thread: rifle break in

rifle break in

watching shooting show on tv , the guy at midway usa had an elaborate shoot & clean system to break in a rifle, another guy a bench rest shooter said he takes them out of the box & breaks them in by shooting them. what do you all think?

I shoot em then clean em. That's my break in
    STRAIGHT SHOOTIN, PORK EATIN, RED BLOODED INFIDEL

Break in is overrated... you will damage a bbl by overcleaning it far more then overshooting it. My rifles will all shoot sub moa with handloads, no break in has ever been done on any of them beyond shootin them.. a lot!
    Support your right to keep and bear arms!!!

Break in is definitely overrated. I just shoot it and clean occasionally. On the other hand, I'm not sure exactly how much extra wear and tear the shoot-and-clean method really causes. I've done the shoot-and-clean method before, and I've just started shooting a rifle normally, and I've seen no difference in accuracy whatsoever. Two things I never do: that bore lapping compound they sell (or any other abrasive, for that matter) or high volume shooting with a new barrel. And by no high volume shooting, I just mean I pace myself. I shoot at a slow pace and give the barrel plenty of time to stay cool. There's no reason behind it, its just the way I've always done it.