Thread: Double barrel with single trigger

Double barrel with single trigger

I have a jc Higgins 12 guage side by side break open with single trigger.. Old gun ... Any one familiar with these? How does single trigger activate second shot?..

Congrats on the old double! I'm a huge fan of sxs shotguns and own a few. I do not own a jc Higgins but am familiar with some of there models. Is there any model #s on it? It might be an AYA make or a savage/Stevens. Does your sxs have a barrel selector either on top or by the trigger? If so that's what would select your barrel, making it what they call a selective double. If there isn't a selector you have a non selective double, in that case you squeeze the trigger once first barrel fires, pull again the other barrel fires. If you have lets say a double with modified barrel and full choke barrel, it will fire the modified barrel first.
    Ya gotta post a pic of that thing

Thank you for reply.. Will post pics when i can..Seems to be non selective...says sears, Roebuck and company model 101 540... so made by savage/Stevens right?..this gun and others were giving to me by my dad who's had them for years.. I am thankful they are in my hands but saddened at same time to see that he's gotten older, with no interest to keep them anymore and failing health ;o(...god bless him

Love those side by sides. My grandpa has one that isn't selectable, just pull and then pull again. Sweet gun, I'm sure you'll like it, regardless of the how and why your dad passed it on (God bless him btw ). One nice thing about firearms, when taken care of properly; they can be passed down and enjoyed for generations to come, and they will have stories to be shared and celebrated with each pass.
    EDC: Springfield XDSC in 40 SW
    911 will be called only after the gunshots have ceased and I have checked to be sure my family is safe...
    EXODUS 22:2 - If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed

What year frame was this gun produced? I'm 30 years old and he had them way before I was born.. Also any one know of crescent firearms company? It's also a side by side with outside hammers, two triggers, in 16 guage...looks way older than jc Higgins .. When I break open I see some numbers where two parts meet, I have to separate gun to see all the numbers.. Which I have not attempted to take apart just yet..

Your jc Higgins is probably an AYA. I'm gonna take a guess that it's a mid fifties. That gun believe it or not being a single trigger non selective is somewhat of a collectors gun.
    STRAIGHT SHOOTIN, PORK EATIN, RED BLOODED INFIDEL

I believe crescent was made in the 1920s-1930s. I thin savage ended up buying them out like they did so many others. What state is on the barrel?

D*mn! I wish I had me a double barrel! Regrets about your dad passing away

Quote Originally Posted by Akonter1 View Post
    D*mn! I wish I had me a double barrel! Regrets about your dad passing away
    He did not pass away ;o)... I'd like to get a new double barrel side by side, anyone still make them?

I was wrong with thinking it was an AYA, they made the model 100. It would be the savage, 50s-60s.
    If want a new sxs, the inexpensive models went almost extinct, except for stoeger and the Remington import baikli spartan. Other euro makers still have em but they can get pricey. If your lookin for one that's a no frills sxs the used market is still there with lots of savage/ Stevens 311. And if ya get lucky you can still find a new old stock.