Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first ground hog this season

That's kinda what I figured...
    Support your right to keep and bear arms!!!

I've been seeing a good number of them driving to work the last 4-5 weeks. I won't head out till closer to Mem day weekend........I've heard the pups are weened by then. Three 22-250's with H-380 and 50 or 55 gr v-max or ballistic tips. Might be more fun than any other season for me !!!

this piggy was shot at the woodbury wildlife area in coshocton ohio. me and my dad used to have great luck spotting hogs out there, but this season the land out there looks really growed over and not very well maintained. i was a little dissapointed as usually they keep the high weeds and excess folage burned off out there but not this year. made it real hard to spot anything. i've got a few other places to hit this season and hopefully the landscape is more promising than woodbury was. it seems that more and more of my old prime spots for chuckbusting are being developed, and i have to keep looking for new farmland to hunt. any suggestions for central southern ohio?

It is getting harder and harder to find spots around here due to development. I hunt a small farm (about 300 acres) and we have some whistle pigs, but... the farmer has an old friend who likes to shoot em and he's been wandering about with his .17 for the past couple years keepin em pretty well in check. I get more with my bow during bowseasons, than I do with my rifle tryin to hunt them, cause I'm hunting hedgerows and small woodlots where there's some cover. That's the only place their sorta safe around there..

I got a call from by brother the other day about a guy that needs some thinned out.. he said we'll give em a couple more weeks to rear the lil ones and then it's gonna be thinnin time. No centerfires, but we should have no problem gettin in .22 range of em.. Hopefully I'll get some pics here soon...

hey guys this stock is now for sale if anyone is interested. fits standard savage long action and has a barrel channel big enough for large diameter bench barrels. i put this barreled action in an old machined aluminum stock i made years ago and im gonna start shooting bench rest shoots again. the stock in the pic is awesome and very stiff. comes with action screws and the custom adjustable cheekpiece. 300.00 obo

last day on here and then this stock will be on ebay. get while she's here cheaper. open to decent offers.

here in ohio ground hogs are open year round except for deer gun season. when they have babies/when they don't it doesn't matter you won't put a dent in the population... groundhog holes are terrible for a farmers, you should have no problems getting permission to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by shec6135 View Post
    here in ohio ground hogs are open year round except for deer gun season. when they have babies/when they don't it doesn't matter you won't put a dent in the population... groundhog holes are terrible for a farmers, you should have no problems getting permission to shoot them.
    I'm not sure you won't "dent em"........my nephew and I have hunted 2 farms by Mercer PA and each of the last 3 years we have seen less and less shot oppurtunities. I know farmers want them gone, and I appreciate why but having gone from double digit kills EVERY time out 3 years ago to maybe 5-6 shots per outing last year.......I firmly believe you can knock down the population significantly. Also, I'd rather quickly take out a little one than have it die of hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by Justgot2hunt View Post
    I'm not sure you won't "dent em"........my nephew and I have hunted 2 farms by Mercer PA and each of the last 3 years we have seen less and less shot oppurtunities. I know farmers want them gone, and I appreciate why but having gone from double digit kills EVERY time out 3 years ago to maybe 5-6 shots per outing last year.......I firmly believe you can knock down the population significantly. Also, I'd rather quickly take out a little one than have it die of hunger.
    I have to agree here, when we started hunting the lease we have years ago, there were plenty of em and you could make a fun afternoon just targeting them with a high power, which is one of the few reasons I can even break it out around here, nowadays you'd be bored stiff since the ol friend with his .17 has been strolling around all summer long keepin em in check. I used to kill half a dozen just during bowseason while hunting deer, now I'm lucky if I find a couple a year to whack with the bow or whatever I have handy when I see one..

Yes, they are big nuisances around here where there are horses or cattle and it's usually not too hard to find a place to shoot em if you put the time in, but it ain't like it was before, much of the agricultural land around these parts is giving way to asphalt and wood structures.

Nice Shooting...Congratulations on getting that Ol Ground Hog!

I've seen a few this Spring/Summer but its been on Private Land,got one spot where I can go to hunt them but they haven't been out much there?There's a spot where a Ground Hog burrowed into the side of a Pond Bank right next to the road I drive to work on....checked it out the other day as I passed slowly by......a Pretty Red Fox took over the hole now!

I'm like The Critter....my Go-To Varmint/Predator Rifle is a CZ model 527 in the .204 Caliber....fun to shoot,fast and accurate bullets with light recoil!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12