Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle caliber choice for deer hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 1100 View Post
    Sqautch , with ya there buddy. Since when is a .243 and .308 essentially the same and bare min. , i admit the .243 is getting a little light for deer but acceptable . But .308 has more than enough nuts , even for elk or bear .
    Thanks bud, I couldn't believe that comment! Glad I have someone on my side!
    God, family, guns/archery, work.....that is my biography!

The .308 actually squeaks out the 30.06 in some aspects of internal, external, and terminal ballistics under certain conditions and circumstances. The 30.06 has the edge over the .308 when it comes to affording a wider varity of bullet weights, thus making it a better choice depending on your intended game. Either round is more than capable of taking ANY North America game, and the 30.06 has even been used in taking some of the larger African game animals. .308 is 'minimal' for whitetail deer?? Pa-lease! That is totally laughable!
    The devil made me do it the first time. The second time I done it on my own!

When I gun hunted I used either a .308, 30 06 or 45 70

.270 Win is all I've ever needed.

I'm a fan of the old 300 Savage. More deer than can be counted have been taken with this cartridge.

It would probably be an eye opener to many folks to find out how many deer are cleanly killed with a lowly .223
    Always drink upstream from the herd!

even though the .270 is based on the 30-06 dont mean they are essentially the same thing. the .270s case length is longer then the 06, its the same length as the .30-03.
    and im on the side of how is a .308 the same as a .243, other then the .243 being a necked down version

If your gonna be a proper rifle looney you've gotta get your mind wrapped around the FACT that chamberings or brass don't kill chit. Bullets do. Properly constructed bullets for the job at hand motivated to an acceptable speed to do the damage needed to get the job done is how it really works. A 30 caliber 180 grain pointed soft point leaving the muzzle at 2700 fps could care less if it was fired from a 30-06 case or a .308(or 300win mag.,300 H&H,300Saum,300Rum etc...) The exterior performance will be the same when motivated at the same speed.

Lets now go to smaller diameter bullets. Smaller diameter bullets can and are made of sufficient construction to do the damage needed to kill stuff cleanly and bullet choices are the key to success here. Physics does rear it's head here as smaller diameters will be limited in range as these bullets will weigh less and have less energy to expend but even .22 centerfires are capable of killing ranges that the majority of whitetails are killed in every year. With the added advantage of low recoil small diameter bores are a very good choice for the young and recoil sensitive shooters to hunt with at moderate ranges. Stuff will die...Don't take my word for it though go try it yourself.

My whole point in writing this though is this, our first choice made should be the bullet then choose the case we want to propel it out of.
    It should be a given though that any true rifleman will mostly use a bolt action. If not you don't have a hair on your azz...grin
    Always drink upstream from the herd!

I have used a Remington Model 742 Semi-Automatic 30-06 for many years,finally bought myself a new Browning A-Bolt Hunter in a .243 about 6 or 7 years ago and have taken many nice Doe's and several good Bucks with it,got a new Savage 7mm-08 2 years ago and love it,light recoil,very accurate and light weight.I've used a Browning .270 WSM a few times and it does a nice job,just a little too much for Hunting heavy Timber but it reaches out far and flat....bad thing is shells run about $35.00-$40.00 a box of 20 shells.

I bought a used Remington Bolt-action 30-06 and started it out with the Remington Managed Recoil shells in 125 grains and was thrilled with such light recoil and very accurate clover-leaf groups at 100 yards.I haven't had the chance to take it Deer Hunting but I loaned it to the BIL last year and he didn't have a chance to take a shot at a Deer with it so I still don't know how well it performs on a live Deer...maybe this year it will prove itself?

I like Your way of thinking Okie....You could weave a Rug with the hair on my Arse......LMAO JK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast