Thread: Savage Arms Xp Youth .243 Rifle.

Savage Arms Xp Youth .243 Rifle.

My son Will be taking hunter's Ed next week. We promised him that after he passed we would buy him a .243 rifle/scope combo rifle. I have a lot of Firearms but none are .243 or Savage. I hear a lot of great thing about Savage rifles. I'm thinking about buying the Savage Axis XP .243 Youth Camo Rifle for my son. He is 11 years old and weighs 98 pounds. Anybody have first hand knowledge with this rifle?. My son wants to bow hunt but he cannot pull the 40 pound minimum.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...sit=&pid=&inv=

I'm a Happy father. My son passed Hunters Ed. Like my wife and I promised we will be buying him a .243 rifle. I hear great things about the Savage Axis youth locally. I think we are gonna buy one and pair it up with a Vortex scope. It should be a nice combo for my new hunting partner!.

Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge on the Savage, but congratulations to your boy and good for you for getting him involve in hunting and shooting !
    TAKE A CHILD WITH YOU, INTO THE OUTDOORS!

Can't go wrong . My buddy got his boy one and he shoots well , he is very small stature .
    Your choice of Vortex is awesome . He is a lucky young man. I wish my Dad was like that 30 some years ago.

Thank you. I'm doing the Rifle research online for reviews, comments,etc. My other option is a Remington 700 or 770 Youth rifle. I'm still leaning toward the Savage for the moment.

What I did this year for my 10 year old daughter is get an T/C Encore in .243 and cut the stock off about an 1" and put a new limbsaver recoil pad on. It fits her great now and I have also just picked up a .223 barrel for it and another stock, so we can both shoot it. I have plans in the future to add a muzzleloader barrel and if I am able to take her out west in a few years, some states require a 25 caliber or larger for big game and then we can add a 25-06 or 7mm-08 barrel. The fit remains the same regardless of barrel and she doesn't have to get comfortable with a new configuration each time she changes calibers, plus I LOVE shooting it, too!
    TAKE A CHILD WITH YOU, INTO THE OUTDOORS!

Thanks for the info Iowa-lefty. I'm checking T/C out and doing comparisons. Now I like the look of the Mossberg rifles. The stock comes with a 1 inch add on for adults.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa-lefty View Post
    What I did this year for my 10 year old daughter is get an T/C Encore in .243 and cut the stock off about an 1" and put a new limbsaver recoil pad on. It fits her great now and I have also just picked up a .223 barrel for it and another stock, so we can both shoot it. I have plans in the future to add a muzzleloader barrel and if I am able to take her out west in a few years, some states require a 25 caliber or larger for big game and then we can add a 25-06 or 7mm-08 barrel. The fit remains the same regardless of barrel and her doesn't have to get comfortable with a new configuration each time she changes calibers, plus I LOVE shooting it, too!

A Friend of mine bought the standard size Savage Axis in Camo with the scope combo (Bushnell 3X9X40mm) in a .243,we took it to the Range and sighted it in using Hornady Custom shells in 100 grains.It was a very nice Rifle and it shot some nice groups,He bought it for His Son to hunt during our Youth Season and He also Hunted with it during the Regular Rifle Deer Season.The trigger was a little heavy to pull but for a reasonably priced Rifle it was well the money.I plan on getting me one also with the Scope package and in Camo in a .223 for Coyote/Predator Hunting.

I have not specifically messed with an Axis in 243, but I have fooled with several 243's and a few axis' in different calibers. I say go for it! The 243 is an awesome caliber, great for deer, and te Axis hat I shot, shot fine.
    "When Tyranny becomes Law, then Rebelion becomes Duty."

"Order without liberty and liberty without order are equally destructive" Theodore Roosevelt

I have one in .308 and its a really nice gun I did change out the trigger with a timney trigger for $80 and it made a world of difference. The stock trigger on the axis is not adjustable and is about a 5lb trigger. also look at the Marlin x7 rifles they have an adjustable trigger and are in same price range as the edge/axis rifles.